Quality vs. Quantity - The Right Way to Do Extra Curricular Activities

Scholarship season is upon us and as many seniors in high school are finalizing their admissions and financial aid applications and starting on their scholarship applications, a topic that comes up often is extracurricular activities.

I have had the privilege of being in the scholarship committee for LULAC Council 10 in Davenport for several years and I see A LOT of scholarship applications and a common question I get is “does it matter how many extra-curricular/community service projects I’ve been involved with?” My response is quality reigns supreme. As a scholarship committee member I want to see what the student is passionate about. If a student lists Habitat for Humanity for a few days during their high school career and nothing else, it makes me wonder “why were you even there?” On the other hand, if there’s a student who lists being in mock trial or debate or dance or theatre for all four year of high school, that tells me that they truly enjoy it and will probably continue to be a part of this when they move on to college.

Doing a few things here and there just to list them on an admissions application or an activity resume doesn’t say much about the student. What it tells me is that they’re doing things because they were forced to by their parent(s) or it’s a requirement for graduation. The scholarship committee wants to get to know each of their applicants. They want to know who will use their money wisely and showing what the student is passionate about through extracurricular activities is a great way to do so.

On a side note, I want to mention that ICAN has great activity resume template that all students can use to track their involvement and make compiling information for applications a lot easier. Here’s the link: www.icansucceed.org/activitiesresume


Lupe - ICAN Coralville and Davenport Centers