Recommended Movies & Books

I love to read, and I love watching movies. One of my favorite things to do is go to the movie theatre by myself. Some people wouldn’t dream of going to the movies on their own…how embarrassing, right? Whatever, I don’t care. Not sharing popcorn & candy is reason enough for me to continue to go to the movies by myself. In no particular order I will provide you with a list of my favorite movies and books that I don’t get tired of reading and watching.

Books

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel - The novel follows the story of a young girl named Tita who longs her entire life to marry her lover, Pedro, but can never have him because of her mother's upholding of the family tradition of the youngest daughter not marrying but taking care of her mother until the day she dies. Tita is only able to express herself when she cooks.

The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory - A historical loosely based on the life of 16th-century aristocrat Mary Boleyn, the sister of Anne Boleyn, of whom little is known. Inspired by the life of Mary, Gregory depicts the annulment of one of the most significant royal marriages in English history (that of King Henry VIII and Catherine of Aragon) and conveys the urgency of the need for a male heir to the throne.

Caramelo by Sandra Cisneros - Caramelo, Celaya Reyes remembers a summer trip from Chicago to visit her grandparents in Mexico City in about 1962. With rich imagery and humor and from the perspective of a five-year-old, Celaya introduces her extended family and the culture of Mexico City in the mid-twentieth century.

Love in the Time of Cholera –by Gabriel Garcia Marquez Love - A celebration of life over death, love over despair, and health over sickness. It is the story of Florentino Ariza, who was rejected by Fermina Daza in his youth. He maintains a silent vigil of unrequited love for fifty-one years, nine months, and four days, until he meets Fermina again at her husband’s wake and renews his suit.

Little House on the Prairie Book Series by Laura Ingalls Wilder – No need to provide a summary of this. Everyone knows what these books area bout. I think I like them so much because these are the books that helped me learn the English language. 

Movies

Under the Tuscan Sun – Leaving everything behind and moving to Italy…who wouldn’t want to do that. Diane Lane is queen of everything.

The Sandlot – No need to describe this one. “You’re killing me, Smalls”

The Little Mermaid – the real life version of this Disney classic is coming soon. It’ll be based on the real Hans Christen Andersen story, it’ll be dark and not for children. Can’t wait!

The Devil Wears Prada – The clothes, the Anne Hathaway, the Meryl Steep…love it all!

Any of the Bourne movies – Matt Damon kicking butt all over Europe. I’ll never get tired of it. The newest cam out last summer and should be in a Red Box near you.





Lupe - ICAN Hiawatha Center