Parent Perspective: Questions to Ask During College Planning



The college process is an exciting and stressful time. Being a parent of two boys that have since graduated, you want them to be successful in their college decision.  Listed below are some questions you can ask when sitting down with your ICAN advisor during a College Planning appointment. If you can’t make it to an ICAN center, use these questions as a starting point for your research.

What Questions Do I Ask in a College Planning Appointment?

  1. Next Steps in the College Planning process?
  2. When’s the best time take the ACT
  3. Do most colleges do super scoring on the ACT?
  4. Where do I register for the SAT or ACT?
  5. Should I do the written test on the ACT?
  6. What score do I need on the ACT to be accepted to a private/public school?
  7. What extra-curricular activities are more impressive on a scholarship application?
  8. Where do I find information on NCAA eligibility?
  9. When do I register for the NCAA Clearing House?
  10. I had an IEP in high school, does that transfer into college?
  11. How many recommendations should a student have?
  12. Is an activity resume important to have?
  13. Scholarship opportunities-where do I start?
  14. When should I start visiting colleges?
  15. When and where do I sign-up for the Raise.Me scholarship program?
  16. What factors should I consider when deciding what college to attend?
  17. When’s the best time to take the ACT profile? 


Cindy - ICAN Hiawatha Center