First Year of College - A Freshman's Experience

The following is an interview with Abby Mulholland. Abby has just completed her freshman year at Kirkwood Community College in Cedar Rapids. Let’s take a closer look at how Abby’s freshman year has gone.

Shea: What is your major? How did you choose it?

Abby: Currently, I am working towards my associate science degree at Kirkwood. I chose this degree because I plan on majoring in Biology to become a doctor.

Shea: What was the best thing about your first year of college?

Abby: When I first came to Kirkwood I joined a group called Student Ambassadors which has led me to the best experience for my first year of college. In this group I have met a majority of the people I now call my close friends. Our main role as Student Ambassadors is to reach out to motivated students to come join us at Kirkwood, the college we call home. Outside of our campus visits, the group participates in many social events such as movie nights, hockey games, and forming a student section at all of our athletic events. By getting involved with such an amazing group, I have had an amazing freshman year.

Shea: The worst?

Abby: The worst thing about my freshman year was realizing I was ACTUALLY going to have to sit down and study for my classes. My high-school experience was very laid back and came easily to me, so when I got my first test score back I realized I was going to buckle down. From many hours spent in the library I found what study mechanisms work best for me.

Shea: Was the transition difficult academically? What was the biggest difference between high school classes and college classes?

Abby: The transition was smooth once I learned how to manage my time. In order to be successful in college you will need to spend a lot of time going over the material taught in the lectures. Kirkwood also offers many great places to study and get help with anything you could be struggling with! The biggest difference between high school and college classes was the amount of time spent learning. In high school, teachers will pass out work sheets to make sure the students are grasping the overall message, but in college the professors expect you to do these types of things outside of class.

Shea: How important is attendance in college?

Abby: I am a firm believer that there is a positive correlation between a high grade and good attendance. With each lecture comes a new chapter, and unless you are willing to try to teach yourself a full chapter without the guidance of your professor explaining it to you, I would highly recommend attending class. Also, professors are more likely to bump a grade or write a letter of recommendation for a student they see in class every lecture.

Shea: Did you work on-campus your freshman year?

Abby: I personally did not work on campus. I worked at an after-school program through one of the surrounding elementary schools. A lot of my friends worked on campus at the recreational center and the admissions office.

Shea: How do you manage your time?

Abby: I kept a planner with me at all times. I always wrote down exactly what I would be doing for every hour of the day. Although this may seem like a lot of work, it kept me on track with homework and allowed me extra time to work out or hangout with friends.

Shea: Did you know your roommate before you got to college? How has your roommate
situation worked out?

Abby: I currently live in a four bedroom apartment. I came out to Kirkwood with two friends from back home and then another girl was assigned to the apartment with us. We all hit it off right away. They are now the closet friends I have. It was very easy to live with the girls because everyone cleaned up after themselves and when a problem did arise we talked it out maturely.

Shea: If you could go back and change anything about your freshman year of college, would you?

Abby: I wouldn’t change a thing about my freshman year. I loved the experience and the people I met. Any mistake I made was simply a learning experience! Nothing will ever be completely perfect, and that is what makes the journey so memorable.


Shea - ICAN Hiawatha Center