What Questions to Ask in a Financial Aid Appointment

The college process is an exciting and stressful time. The biggest question is how you are going to pay for it. Being a parent of two boys that have since graduated, you want them to be successful in their college decision, but also try to be realistic about debt. Listed below are some questions you can ask when sitting down with your ICAN advisor during a Financial Aid Appointment.

What Questions Do I Ask in a Financial Aid Appointment?

1. Time line?

2. How am I going to pay for college?

3. I filed my FAFSA what’s the next step?

4. I have two students in college how is that going to impact their financial aid?

5. I have a business/farm what do I report?

6. I’m divorced who files the FAFSA

7. Other than the Parent Plus Loan what are other options?

8. Do colleges negotiate price?

9. I have a rollover that shows up on my taxes what do I do?

10. What is a CSS profile and do I have to fill it out?

11. My student is going into a 9 month vocational-technical program can they still get financial aid?

12. Are there scholarships for minority students?

13. Can I use financial aid money to go on spring break?

14. I how much money can I borrow from the Department of Education each year?

15. I haven’t lived with my parents for three years can I file the FAFSA as an Independent?

16. Can I start paying off my loans while I’m in school?

17. How are assets looked at on the FAFSA?

18. I have a vacation home in Florida do I have to count it on the FAFSA?

Good luck!



Cindy - ICAN Hiawatha Center