It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year -

I have always loved the Holiday season. Starting at Thanksgiving, then to Christmas and New Year, it is truly the Most Wonderful Time of the Year.   

During this time, I listen to  as much Christmas music  and  watch as many Christmas movies/shows as possible. Like most people,  I have my favorites/least favorites. I wondered what some of my colleagues had for favorites/least favorites for Christmas movies, Christmas programs and Christmas songs.

Last week I took an informal poll from ICAN employees and here are our results:

Favorite Christmas Movie -   Home Alone and Miracle on 34th Street (the original). We had a tie. I can’t argue between those two. Definitely classics. If you never seen the scene in Miracle on 34thStreet where Santa Claus is able speak Dutch to the orphan girl that just came over to the United States,  do yourself a favor and watch - https://youtu.be/ibDD8Y3IJrg. Warning, have a tissue nearby.   

Favorite Christmas Song-  O Holy Night  -   I know most of my colleagues had trouble choosing just one. There are so many good ones but this song got the most votes and personally it is my favorite. If only I had a good singing voice to sing it well…….

Favorite Christmas Program/Show- Charlie Brown Christmas - No surprise here, another classic. The music by the Vince Guaraldi Trio is what puts it over the top for me. 

Least Favorite Christmas Movie-  Christmas Vacation - This movie was polarizing in our office. It had the most votes for least favorite but had some votes for Favorite Christmas Movie as well. 

Least Favorite Christmas Song-   Grandma Got Run over by a Reindeer-  This was the only song that was listed more than once.   Most colleagues had a hard time naming a song they just didn’t like.   

Least Favorite Christmas Program -  The Grinch who Stole Christmas -  This vote was also polarizing.    It had the most votes for least favorite, but it also was just one vote shy of winning for Favorite Christmas program/show.

I know there are many movies, songs and programs/shows that we haven’t mentioned.   Rudolph, Frosty, It’s a Wonderful Life, The Christmas Story, etc that may be your favorite. We haven’t even talked about favorite Christmas treats.   That might be a topic for next year.   J 

From all of us at the Iowa College Access Network, we hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season with family and friends!   


Erick - ICAN Ankeny & Des Moines Centers