Transitioning to the Northwest


Just a few short months ago (probably more than a few) I was blogging about my new job with ICAN at the Eastern Iowa Office in Hiawatha, moving here from western Iowa after 34 years as a public school educator. Now it seems I am blogging about another transition. I am moving back to western Iowa after an 8 month stint in the Cedar Rapids area.

Tomorrow I will be moving to Sioux City, and on February 26 I will become the Northwest Iowa Student Success Advisor for ICAN. For those of you who don’t know, the NW Iowa ICAN office is on the campus of Western Iowa Tech Community College. There is another part-time office in NW Iowa on the Northwestern College campus, and I will be stationed there approximately once a week, at least for now. When I am at either office, I will be available for appointments to do FAFSAs, create FSA IDs, help with corrections or verifications of FAFSAs, help interpret financial aid awards, work with students on college planning and career exploration topics, and all of the other free services ICAN continues to offer across the state. Some days and many evenings (through May, anyway) I will be travelling to schools in the NW Iowa territory to do Freshmen Transition, College Planning, and Financial Aid Presentations. I am really looking forward to connecting with some counselors I know from my recent work as a western Iowa high school counselor, and I am very excited about meeting new counselors in the NW Iowa high schools. It will also be very exciting for me to meet the families of NW Iowa who want to take advantage of our services. When I arrive, it will have been several months since anyone has been in Northwest Iowa full-time, although we have had people from our offices and from other entities filling in to help families and schools as much as possible. I look forward to making the Sioux City and Orange City ICAN offices bustle with people and activity again.

Before I sign off as a Hiawatha Student Success Advisor, I would like to say that it has been a true joy to work with the Hiawatha ICAN staff and the many counselors and families I have met in Eastern Iowa. I started as an ICAN rookie, and everyone was very patient and supportive as I found my way into this new position. One thing I feel qualified to say from my experiences growing up in SE Iowa, attending college in central Iowa, living most of my adult life in Western Iowa, and now working at ICAN in East-Central Iowa, is that Iowa is FULL of terrific people! No matter where you go in this state, you will find hard-working families and caring professionals. You will find good schools and counselors and teachers who really care about what they are doing. You will find excellent colleges – of all sizes and types – that will prepare students for whatever career they choose if the students are willing to put forth the effort to achieve. I am so very proud to call Iowa my home, and if you are an Iowan reading this, I think you should be, too! I have truly enjoyed my time in eastern Iowa (living in “the city” for the first time), and I very much look forward to connecting with people who I know and who I don’t know yet in the northwest part of this great state!

My schedule for the Sioux City and Orange City offices is now open for appointments beginning on Feb. 26. We try to keep the schedule open around 60 days in advance. You are welcome to schedule your own appointment at: www.icansucceed.org and “click” on Schedule Now. You may also call our toll free number (877-272-4692), and anyone who answers can schedule an appointment for you.


Mary Joan 
ICAN Hiawatha Center
Soon to be ICAN Sioux City & Orange City Centers