Being a First Generation Student


I was the first person in my family to go to and graduate from college. It is something that after all these years I am still incredibly proud of. My parents grew up poor. Talking about it now, they both wanted an education but due to the economic situation they both had to drop out of middle school to help feed their families.

Graduating from high school was mandatory; my parents always engrained this into me, and my brother and sister’s lives. Even though they were never involved in our education, due to language barriers and work commitments, it was always known that we had to graduate from high school. And we did.

Going to college was another story. My parents were supportive, but weary about me going to college. Mostly because they didn’t know how to guide me and they knew college was expensive. I was incredibly lucky to have positive role models in my life that encouraged me to pursue post-secondary education and helped me with the process. I was in Upward Bound during my Junior and 
Senior year in high school. This organization really made college possible for me. They took us on campus visits, paid for us to take the ACT among other things that made me think college was doable.  With the help of scholarships and federal financial aid I attended Muscatine Community College for one year and then transferred to Iowa Wesleyan College (now Iowa Wesleyan University) where I graduated with a BA in Liberal Arts.

For students who are going to be first generation students I encourage you to seek people that can help you with the college planning and financial aid process. It can be quite confusing and if you don’t have a support system at home you need to advocate for yourself and surround yourself with people who can walk you through this process. I’m always available!!!




Lupe Hernandez - ICAN Coralville and Davenport Centers