Summertime: A Time to Reflect

School’s finally out and summertime is here! I think summertime is the perfect opportunity for students to spend time reflecting upon what really interests them…

For most students, summer can mean a little more freedom and possibly working a summer job. Summer is a great time for students to get involved in the local community, volunteer or take part in a job shadow or internship. All of these experiences can really help students identify what they like and dislike. Through these experiences, students learn a lot about themselves during the process. I remember doing a summer internship where I was stuck behind a desk for 8 hours straight with very little people interaction. My automatic reaction was:  “How do people do this all day?” I knew a job like that was never for me. I had to have people interaction, and I knew sitting behind a desk all day wasn’t for me! These are the types of things that are important for students to recognize early on before selecting a career or major.

At ICAN, we utilize a service called ACT Profile. ACT Profile is a free service that helps students identify majors and careers that fit them by taking an interest, abilities and values assessment. This can really help students start thinking about the next step after high school. The ACT Profile assessments can be taken as many times as the student would like. I usually recommend that students re-take this about every 6 months. As the students’ life experiences change, generally their interest, abilities and values will also change.

All of our advising appointments are free of charge to you! We would love to see you this summer. #PrepareForYourSuccess

Visit www.ICANsucceed.org/apt to schedule your visit.


Meghan - ICAN Hiawatha Center