Using your local library


Recently I did a presentation at a public library and it inspired this blog. Being there made me realize how fun and useful libraries continue be for any community. At this particular library, there was section specifically for teens. There were resources for almost any topic or issue a teenager might need help with. Just to name a few: there was a book called “How Not To Choke on Tests” another called “Freshmen Survival Guide” and another called “Quiet Power: The Secret Strength of Introverts”. There were also other resources to prep for the ACT and SAT, these books cost no less than $30 at a book store, but they’re available for free from your library and many times libraries have several copies available for check out.

When I got home I looked into my own local library and discovered that they also have amazing programming for people of all ages. Just the other day they announced a work-shop series for high school students called “Adulting 101”. This consists of several work-shops with topics such as “Financial Know-How”, “Mug Meals” and “Fake News”. This got me super excited about the library so I decided to follow them on Facebook and I was pleasantly surprised to find that in my local library, you can get your driver’s license renewed (no more waiting at the DMV), you can rent baking sheets, be part of book clubs and on a weekly basis they have guest speakers on certain topics. For example, during Halloween, they had a historian talk about the Salem Witch Trials and how things really happened.

Point of my story, use your local library. They have so many interesting and useful things to offer.



Lupe - ICAN Coralville and Davenport Centers