Advice for My 16-Year-Old Self

Dear High Schoolers,

As a new school year begins there are some things I wish I could go back and tell my 16-year old self. I think it is important to remember that at the end of the day, we are all human. At some point, all of us fail, make mistakes, etc. It’s important to learn from our mistakes so that we don’t make them again.

If I were to go back and tell my 16-year old self some “words of wisdom” it would be this…

  • Be Kind. Always. For everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle that you know nothing about. 
  • Don’t take yourself too seriously. 
  • Life is about helping others. Do something every day to make someone else smile. 
  • Step outside of your comfort zone and get involved in something new and different. You might be surprised who you meet and what you learn about yourself through the experience! 
  • Befriend a stranger. Go talk to the new kid across the lunchroom who sits by him/herself every morning. Everyone needs friends! 
  • Stand up for what is right. You may not make friends doing this, but learning to stand up for what you know is right is such an important life lesson. 
  • Go help someone in need. Like I said before, life does not revolve around you. 
  • Put your phone down! Go talk and interact with the world. You’d be surprised what you are missing out on always looking down. J 
  • Save your money! It’s never too early to start saving for college, retirement, etc. 
  • Learn balance. Balance in life is so crucial. Learn to balance your time with sports, friends, family, activities, etc. 
I wish you a great school year ahead! Let’s make the 2018-2019 school year the best yet.

Sincerely,
Your Student Success Advisor, Meghan