Verification Reminder

Have you ever noticed that sometimes professors or teachers repeat themselves when discussing a certain topic or procedure? Maybe they speak about the topic AND write it on the board. Or, maybe they speak about a topic at the beginning of the class period or semester and then repeat it again later during the same class period, or possibly right before a test is given later in the semester.

There is a reason for that…The topic is important!

As I look at previous blogs that I and my co-workers have written, sometimes information is repeated but possibly with a different spin on it. Again, the reason for that is because the information is important.

The reason I mention this is because about a year or so ago, I wrote about the verification process and the importance of completing forms accurately, thoroughly, and in a timely manner. I also emphasized asking questions and seeking help when needed.

I have come across a couple of situations recently that brings to light the importance of bringing up this topic once again..

I was helping a parent and current college student complete a FAFSA for the upcoming year and the question on the FAFSA asked if the student had ever received any federal student aid. They told me no, the student had never received any federal student aid. Now I don’t remember every family’s situation, however, I recalled that when I previously assisted this family, the student was eligible for a federal pell grant. I asked them about it and they told me they paid for the previous 2 semesters out of pocket, that they did not receive a pell grant. I suggested that they speak with the financial aid office at the college the student was attending to see what the situation is.

They did check and they found out that several months prior, the financial aid office had requested that the student complete a verification form before disbursing any financial aid, however, the student did not complete and submit the form. Once that was done, the student was awarded and received several thousand dollars in grant money (luckily, that academic year was still in session so the student was still eligible to receive it). All because they completed that one form the financial aid office needed.

Another example I came across was when a parent came in to my office to complete the FAFSA for next year and told me that the college “took away” his daughter’s federal pell grant for this year and wondered why. He said that when he completed the FAFSA several months prior, the results indicated that his daughter was eligible for a grant, however, when the award letter was received, there was no pell grant listed.

We did a little research and figured out that his daughter was selected for verification; however she completed the verification form inaccurately when answering the question about household size, and therefore, was no longer pell eligible. I suggested that they contact the financial aid office at the college so the error could be reviewed and hopefully corrected. The college did review the information and the student was eventually awarded over $1000 in grant money.

The first example stresses the importance of following up with the financial aid office and providing any documentation the college asks for in a timely manner. The second example stresses the importance of reading the questions carefully before answering them accurately.

In my mind, both of these examples show that parents and students need to stay on top of the process AND ASK questions if you are unsure of anything when it comes to financial aid. As I have mentioned before, if you follow these simple guidelines, it might save you thousands of dollars!

As a reminder, appointments to get assistance in completing the FAFSA or in getting help with the verification process can be made by either calling 877-272-4692 or by going to www.icansucceed.org/apt.


John - ICAN Waterloo and Hiawatha Centers