Communication Habits for Students

This topic is something that I mention at my presentations all the time. It’s something that is a “pet peeve” of mine when it comes to student and adult communication habits. In this blog I will focus on the students.

When students enter their senior year in high school they should start using their personal email accounts when applying for admissions, financial aid, scholarships, jobs, internships, job shadows etc. Reason for this, is because many school districts de-activate school assigned e-mails when the student graduates and they will no long have access to their school emails. I highly recommend having a professional email address. In my many years of working with young people I have seen many silly, goofy and inappropriate email addresses. Make sure you make a good impression by having a professional email address. It’s very important to check emails often. By often, I mean once a day, especially when the student has sent in admissions information, financial information to a college. The college might be asking for additional information from the student and email is the most likely way that they will communicate. Stay on top of those emails and respond to them quickly. If assistance is needed you can call the college or you can call ICAN and we can try to help.

Another thing to stay on top of is your cell phone and voicemails. Just this week, I had a message from a student I’ve been assisting since February, when I called them back I heard “I’m sorry but the person you’re trying to reach has a voicemail that has not set up”. Annoying. Set up your voicemails and when you do, make sure that they’re also appropriate “Hello, sorry I missed your call, leave your name and number and I’ll return your call soon”. That is appropriate, short and to the point. Sometimes I’ve heard voicemails where there’s cussing or there’s a song playing and I have to wait to leave a message. You never know who’s calling, it could a potential job opportunity, an admissions representative, a financial aid office, a military recruiter…who knows. You want to put your best foot forward and having appropriate forms of communications is key.


Lupe - ICAN Coralville and Davenport Centers