Goal Setting for Life Success

 Goal setting is a habit that can bring about great success and opportunity. As a high school student, goal setting may seem unnecessary, but mastering this particular skill early will create a solid foundation for success yet to come.

Goal setting is a way to take the vision you have for your life and to make it your reality. You can dream of the things you want to accomplish in life. You can think about the type of life you want to have and the opportunities you want to be available to you - but without a plan to get there, all those hopes and dreams could remain just that - hopes and dreams.

Realizing your future life the way you dream it to be takes work and planning, it won't just happen. This is where goal setting comes into play.

The first thing to know about goal setting is that to be impactful, setting a goal must also come with a plan to achieve it. It's easy to say "I want to a new phone" or "I want to go to college," but if there isn't a plan for achievement, these can become empty thoughts.

True goal setting comes from writing down your ambitions and creating a plan of how to get there. Writing down your goals is always a great first step. Rather than thinking about a goal of and on, writing it down makes it more real. 

Step two comes in the form of a deadline. When do you want to achieve this goal. It's easy to set goals if you have no timeline. You can keep pushing it off further and further into the future, which then also pushes you further and further away from the future you want for yourself. A deadline gives you a specific timeframe - this is when I'm going to do this, no more procrastination. 

Once you have your deadline you can outline your steps to achievement. Identify what it will take to meet your goal. If you goal is to buy a new car or travel, what steps do you need to take to achieve it? Let's talk in more specific detail - having a career you love and attending college.

A dream job takes planning. Very few people will just wind up in their dream job without a lot of hard work and planning. Ask yourself the question - what will it take to get where I want to go?

Dream Job/College Education

  • What skills do I need in this job?
  • What degree or credential or training?
  • Where can I get this training or education?
  • What does the program look like? Can I visit?
  • What are the steps to beginning that education? How do I apply?
  • What do I need to apply? essay, letter of recommendation
  • Do I need certain grades in high school to get in?
  • What can I do in high school to best prepare?
  • How much will that cost? 
  • Is there financial aid available? How do I apply? 
  • Should I work while I study? Do I have savings? Can my parents help?
  • What scholarships do I qualify for?
This is just a beginning list, an example of the thought process that needs to go into going to college and achieving your dream job in the future.

Goal setting can start small - going out next weekend or buying the latest phone, and can grow from there. No matter what your goals are, for life, finance, college or career, the best place to start is by writing them down and forming a plan.

So get started on making the future you dream of a reality - go set some goals and the plan to achieve them.


  Brittania - ICAN Hiawatha Center