Moving EAST! - Familiar ICAN Face Returning to Eastern Iowa

Moving EAST!

Hello! I just wanted to take a few moments (and several words) to say that as of October 19, I will be relocated in Eastern Iowa as a Student Success Advisor in the Hiawatha Office. A short recap: I started this job with ICAN in June, 2017, in the Hiawatha office, after 34 years in public education in western Iowa. Then, after the NW Iowa Advisor resigned the fall of 2017, I moved back to western Iowa to become the NWI Student Advisor, with my main office in Sioux City. I’ve been the NW Iowa Advisor for over 2 ½ years now, and I do want to say that I have so enjoyed meeting the good people over here! I’ve been blessed to work with hundreds of students and families who are friendly, kind, caring, highly motivated people. I have also been EXTRA blessed to work with so many caring, compassionate and extraordinary HS Counselors in NW Iowa. Families of NW Iowa – do not take your HS counselor for granted. He/she really, truly cares about their students, and they are going above and beyond to help them become successful human beings.

I am very much looking forward to working in Eastern Iowa again. I grew up south of Iowa City, so I am a “born and raised eastern Iowan” at heart! I feel like I am “returning home” again, just a little north of my original home! I know there are also many wonderful students and parents, as well as fantastic school counselors in eastern Iowa, as well, and I am anxious to get to know and work with the families and counselors I will soon meet!

So – as I bid adieu to NW Iowa, I take lots of warm memories with me. And – as I begin a new chapter in eastern Iowa, I look forward to many more interesting adventures! Thanks for the memories, NW Iowa! And, Look Out …. Here I Come, Eastern Iowa.



Mary Joan  

NW Iowa Student Success Advisor/Soon-to-be Eastern Iowa Student Success Advisor