How I Chose My College Major



I was one of those students who had no clue what I wanted to do after high school but I knew I wanted to go to college. I thought by after my freshman year I would have some sort of idea…..nope.  The next two years of college I did three job shadows and an internship in a real estate office.  Nothing really fit.  By my junior year of college, my academic advisor pulled me aside and said “Look, you have to declare a major this semester.” 

Well great, I was still confused and unsure of what direction I wanted to go in.  By the second semester of my junior year I met with my advisor again.  This was after speaking with several department heads and professors grilling them on how they decided on their career. He asked “Do you want to be done four years?”   

 “Yes please….that’s my goal!! “ 

So we sat down and looked at all the classes I’ve completed and compared them against different majors to see which one would be most in line.  Two popped up; General Studies and Marketing.  I opted for the latter of the two.  That major required one extra credit that was difficult to cram into my already packed senior schedule.  I made it work by taking an independent study class over Christmas Break.   DONE!! 

Later that year I happily graduated with a Marketing major.  Even though I don’t work in marketing/public relations or sales there were valuable skills I learned that easily translate to many different careers. 

If you are unsure of what major fits you try job shadows, internships, speaking with college faculty.  Also, check out actprofile.org for a career assessment.


Jessica - ICAN Ankeny Center