A New Advisor in the House - Getting to Know Mary Joan

Hi! As a newbie at ICAN, I thought I would tell you a little bit about myself and how I got to this place in my life. I grew up in a small town in SE Iowa and graduated from a small high school and a small private college in SE Iowa. As far back as I can remember, I wanted to be a teacher. The type of teacher changed over the years: elementary, band, vocal, special education, but I truly can’t remember a time in my life when I didn’t want to be a teacher. I loved school (I know – most people don’t like to admit that), and I wanted to help students love school as well, or at least be successful! Deep down, I wanted a career where I felt I could make a difference!

I decided on music education (vocal) early in my college career, and I spent 16 years teaching vocal music in western Iowa. The rewards were enormous! Even though some of the days were trying and some of the weeks were long, the final performances, whether they were concerts, contests, musicals, swing choir events, or any other of the numerous musical activities we did, were exciting and fun! Even when things didn’t go exactly as planned, the hard work and dedication always paid off, and the progress and excitement I saw in my students made every minute of preparation worth it!

Later in my career, I decided to work on a Master’s Degree in School Counseling. Interestingly, my cohort group working on this degree (from Wayne State College in Wayne, NE) was the first group at Wayne State to earn a degree completely through distance learning. Internet was new to the small schools in western Iowa at that time, so we had a lot to learn about using the Internet for research and using technology in many ways while taking our classes entirely off campus. In fact, although it is difficult to believe now, Wayne State felt very uneasy about giving an entire degree to students who had never stepped foot on campus (think about all of the online degrees awarded these days – but this was 1998). So, one Saturday we all had to spend the day on the Wayne State campus so they could say that we had at least seen and been on campus!

I decided to take a job as a high school counselor after finishing my master’s degree. It was a tough decision, because I loved teaching vocal music, but I thought it was time for a change. I also felt that I might be more successful in really making a difference in students’ lives as a school counselor. I was a school counselor for 18 years. I enjoyed helping students apply for scholarships, explore colleges and careers, choose appropriate classes, and work through social, academic, and personal issues, and I also really enjoyed knowing what was going on in the entire school environment, rather than just what was happening in my end of the building. Did I make more of a difference as a school counselor? I don’t know that I did. I think both careers were equally worthy and valid in trying to make a difference. Both careers involved helping students see their talents and abilities and encouraging them to strive to do their best. I did feel that I got to know individual students better as a music teacher, but I still developed some good relationships with students as a school counselor as well.

I retired from education in mid-June, and I came to ICAN to be a student success advisor in Eastern Iowa. There are new things to learn, but my experience in the field of education, especially in my school counseling career, have helped me a great deal in this new position already. I’m still helping students and families, and that is something I really love!

My point in all this? Good question! My point is to let you know a little bit about me and to drive home the fact that I believe you can make a difference in the lives of others no matter what your career, if that is something that is important to you. Find something to do for which you have a passion, then work hard and be as dedicated as you can be, still giving yourself time for a personal life. You can’t go wrong with doing something which you believe to be important and dedicating your life to making a difference for others. Best wishes!


Mary Joan - ICAN Hiawatha Center