Don’t Be A College Helicopter Parent



The mother of two boys who have recently graduated from college it was hard to let them go, but you must!

I remember dropping them off for the first time at college, I helped them organize their dorm room, and then it was time to say goodbye. I cried the whole way home! The unknown was killing me, questions of what if it doesn’t work out, will he hate it there, and will he get along with his roommates? Rest assured it will all work out! 

The hardest thing for me was to let go, but you must! It’s time for them to grow up and let them figure out things on their own. Will there be some bumps along the way…absolutely, but they’ll learn from those experiences.  If they ask for your advice, give it. But for the most part it’s out of your control; the 18 years you raised them will now come into play. Sit back and enjoy the ride, they grow up way to fast!



Cindy- ICAN Hiawatha Center