$5 a Day Can Go A Long Way

Do you have any vices?  We all do, right?  Maybe it’s Mountain Dew, Starbucks, your favorite burrito place, you name it.  Let’s say you spend $5 a day on whatever your vice is.  Some days you spend a little more than $5, some days a little less.  Maybe you started this around the time you got your first job as a teenager and actually had a little spending money, let’s say at age 16.  It’s only $5 a day.  No big deal, right? 

$5 x 365 = $1825 per year

Ok, that added up a little bit. 

Hmm…  Ok.  $1825 per year.  Whatever. 

I’m 34, so let’s say I spent $5 a day from age 16 to 34. 
$1825 x 18 years = $32,850.

Wow!  That’s a lot of money.  I could use an extra 32,000 bucks!  Hmm…  Maybe that vice isn’t worth it, so I stop spending that $5 every day.  Whatever that vice is, by giving it up we’ll probably be healthier and have more money to boot.  Win-win!

WHAT IF…?  What if, when I was 16 and I got my first job, rather than spending $5 per day, I saved $5 per day?  So, instead of spending $1825 per year, I save it.  And let’s say rather than just throwing it into the old Savings account that basically earns me no interest at the bank, I open a Roth IRA and invest that $1825.  If you don’t know much about a Roth IRA, that’s ok.  Google it.  Research it.  Ask me about it.  For the purposes of this exercise, all you need to know is that a Roth IRA grows tax-free. 

If I invested $5 every day from age 16 to 34, I would have invested a total of $32,850.  Let’s say that Roth IRA averaged an 8% return over that 18 years.  At age 34, my Roth IRA would have $73,814.

Inputs
Current Principal:
$
Annual Addition:
$
Years to grow:

Interest Rate:

 %
Compound interest  time(s) annually
Make additions at  start  end of each compounding period


Results
Future Value:
$

That’s pretty awesome.  If I could use an extra $32,000 I definitely like the sounds of it growing to almost $74,000.  But, at age 34, I grow tired of saving $5 every day.  And so, I quit.  If I never contribute another dollar and just let that money sit in the Roth IRA grow until age 65, how much do you think I would have?

Inputs
Current Principal:
$
Annual Addition:
$
Years to grow:

Interest Rate:

 %
Compound interest  time(s) annually
Make additions at  start  end of each compounding period


Results
Future Value:
$

$800,000!  Tax free.  Chances are if you were able to save $5 per day from age 16 to 34, you probably wouldn’t quit.  Assuming you kept saving $5 each day, you would have well over $1,000,000 by retirement age. 

Inputs
Current Principal:
$
Annual Addition:
$
Years to grow:

Interest Rate:

 %
Compound interest  time(s) annually
Make additions at  start  end of each compounding period


Results
Future Value:
$


Do yourself a favor and don’t waste $5.  Every financial decision you make, no matter how small, is potentially a HUGE decision on your future.  



Shea - ICAN Hiawatha Office