College Isn’t For Everyone…

College isn’t for everyone. As a Student Success Advisor, you might be wondering why I am telling you this.  During my experience in higher education- working as an Admissions Representative, and now having the wonderful opportunity to work as a Student Success Advisor at Iowa College Access Network I get the chance to meet with hundreds of students each year. Side note: That is the best part of my job!

During my work experience, I have learned that college is a great option for some students, but not for all. I think in our culture, college is really stressed upon for the majority of students. I know it was for me! It is really important to understand that college is not the answer for everyone. Some students have skill sets that make them a great fit for a 2-year degree in a specific trade- such as becoming an electrician or carpenter. Other students are a great fit for a 4-year college or university where they might make great teachers, nurses or even go on to get their masters and doctorate degrees. We are all unique individuals. That is truly what makes the world fun, diverse and exciting!

The really neat part of my job is that I get the opportunity to meet a wide-range of students who have a wide-range of skill sets. I am a true believer that each of us have been given unique talents and skill sets. We can go out and use those unique gifts and skill sets in a variety of different ways. I am so thankful for everyone I get to meet with every day. Following your own path to success is essential as all of our paths look different.

Now, go chase your dreams!  


Meghan - ICAN Hiawatha Center