Keeping in Touch with your Parents

I know that going to college is very exciting. You will meet new people and have amazing experiences, but keep your parents in mind. Your parents have been with you for your entire life and they will miss you very much. Keep them in the loop about things. 

I don’t expect you to call them at all hours of the day but checking in with them a few times a week, whether it’s a phone call or a text will do a world of difference. It will give them peace of mind that you’re doing well. It will also make it easier to ask for a $20 dollar bill when you’re running short on cash J.

Keep your parents up to date on your classes and your grades. Technically, you’re an adult, you don’t have to share your grades with your parents, but they will feel better if you’re succeeding in class, especially if they’re paying for college. Invite them to visit you during homecoming or family weekend; introduce them to your roommate and friends. Again, the more you let them in, the more trusting they will be.

College was when I learned to appreciate my parents, and my home, and my hometown. Being away from them made me realize how good I had it, and it made me love them and be grateful for them even more. 





Lupe - ICAN Coralville and Davenport Centers